Sunday, October 14, 2012

Are You There God? It's Me, Crystal

I've mentioned multiple times that I am in my mid twenties. Twenty-Four to be exact.

When you think of a 24 year old, do you think of a post college party goer, a just starting their career and drowning in student loans, or a settled down mom/father to be?

I am none of those. I like to sit at home and watch "Pawn Stars" and "Top 20 Most Shocking whatever the hell these idiots are doing in this countdown". I like to focus on my work. My job may be stressful and drive me up the wall, but it's most likely gonna be my career so I might as well work my ass off to rise the ranks as fast as possible. I'm not the kind of person to blow off work to party. The last time I called off work was when my father died, in February.

Every weekend I see girls in their early to mid twenties come in arguing with each other over who is gonna buy the food because they aren't worried about paying rent this month becaue their parents will lend them money, but Oh My God they are like, having so much fun! Woooooo!

I'm an uptight homebody. Not a Woo Girl. Big deal. The one problem this does cause is making friends. Friends don't just show up on my couch. But, they do show up on my computer.

I'm one of those people. One of those who refers to girls as "My friend Ana, the one that lives in Washington." or "My friend Amanda in Florida." I have friends online that I share everything with...from my first kiss with my boyfriend to my period being so heavy I think my uterus is melting. Yet, I have never met these people in person...and who knows if I ever will. I think of people that barely know me as friends. I know the ones I meet online are the ones who will do anything they can to help me through whatever it is I'm going through. When I had my first surgery, gallbladder removal, the one person who stayed up all night with me on the phone was a friend who lived on the complete opposite side of the country. I've never met her and I highly doubt I ever will.

My problem is meeting friends in real life. Where do I pick up chicks? At the library? The gym? The grocery store?

Sure, I work with plenty of women, but I just don't bond with any of them. They are either all about partying, or all about their kids. Then there is me.

I don't have kids, so I can't even force myself to be friends with my kids' friends' moms. I can't go to a mommy and me group without looking like a real weirdo, which lets face it, is already a reason I have trouble finding friends. I'm really weird. No one I know likes to speak in "Family Guy" quotes and memes.

I'm not the party type. I don't like crowded clubs or bars. If I go, I go to the bar on Sunday when they are dead. I like to sit back with a drink or 3 and relax. I don't want to get sloppy cry and embarrass myself drunk, but people my age don't get that. I'd rather "Stumble" than stumble around drunk.

So what the hell do I do? Where do I find friends? Am I stuck with my boyfriend and sister being my only friends for the rest of my life? Who the hell do I make my bridesmaids when I get married?

I feel like Margaret. I feel like I'm going through puberty all over again. Awkward sorta friendships with people I never talk to outside of work are the same as awkward sorta friendships with people I never spoke to outside of middle school.



How do you make friends? Where do you meet them? How do you find common ground?

Actually, if you are reading my blog, you are just as much of a homebody Internet dork like me. In which case, you probably don't have friends but should totally add me to Myspace*, cause that's where I meet all my friends.

*I don't have Myspace. But you can follow my Twitter here.

1 comment: