Tuesday, May 28, 2013

All Growed Up

We have finally gotten settled into our apartment! We have cable and Internet, and a computer desk. It looks like a real home. Pictures on the wall, shelves, and knick knacks. Or is it nick knacks? They both look wrong...but oh so right on MY shelves.

Remember back in my last post when I said I was in the process of recovering an old bench? Voila! It looks pretty amazing to me, especially since I've had no experience in DIY crafts since I was in 6th grade the first time and sewed a hot pink pillow shaped like a foot.


I don't know what happened, but I've turned into a total homemaker, yet still work full time. More on that later. 

Since we've moved in, I've been doing a lot of cooking. Take a second to catch your breath, cause if you know me at all, you know I've never cooked. I've been cooking real meals, like, not from a box. Except mashed potatoes because I don't have a mixer and I'll be damned if I'm mashing potatoes by hand! And macaroni and cheese, cause if Kraft ain't broken there is no reason to buy another kind or something like that. I'm not good with ancient Proverbs.

I've made a homemade pot pie. Like, I made it by myself, with no recipe or instructions, except for some quick Googling ingredients.


This was my third time making it and I totally forgot the carrots. I did NOT forget the little green rabbit turds people refer to as "peas." They are the devil

I also made a homemade pizza, almost completely from scratch. I bought a pouch of dough powder that I had to add water to, but I still had to let it rise and shape it and all that stuff, which sucked and someone obviously lied when they said I was Italian cause it took forever. I even sliced the pepperoni myself. Also sucked. But I did get it to be a perfectly round 12' pizza and it was delicious, so I did something right.


I don't get to cook as much as I'd like to because my work schedule has changed. It's bittersweet really. I've been dying to get off the overnight shift for a long time. Then, one of our genius managers decided to quit and I took her spot on mid shift and 2nd shift. It's just hard to cook a real meal when I have to be at work at 3:30 in the afternoon. 

I'm pretty happy with the way work is going, except for being passed up for a promotion. But the way I see it, everything will work itself out. Those who don't deserve a position of power will abuse it and tear themselves down. Until then, I'll be happy working my morning and evening shifts. 

One more thing...I turned 25 this month. Which, Jessica Simpson says "Is almost middle age." It feels like it. One of the reasons I didn't want to work 3rd shift anymore is because it was taking such a toll on my body. I admit, I was kinda bummed when I thought about the fact that I'm still not married, have no kids, and my career isn't exactly where I wanted it to be by now, but I'm pretty sure I'ts because I was PMSing, so I forgot about it and raided the Frito Lay racks. 

I realized, my life doesn't suck at all. I'm happy, not wanting for anything, and still young enough that I didn't die the day after I went drinking for my birthday. I have made healthier decisions when it comes to eating in, instead of spending $100 a week eating out. I still haven't smoked, and have finally convinced Justin to try to quit. I've realized, I'll never have shit figured out and life will never go as expected. Realized I gotta just go with the flow. Fuck. I'm a grown up. 

Apparently 25 is the year I become a grown up. Finally. 




1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your big girl status :)

    I wish I had more time to cook, but with the kids and ALL their activities, I just don't have the time to cook the way I used to. Enjoy your new place - it looks cute.

    ReplyDelete