Friday, August 19, 2011

Children make me cry

I've struggled with depression for a few years now, but one day in particular stands out in my mind.

I was having a particularly rough day. A day where I had to get away from everyone and just go cry. But, living in a house with 10 other people, there was nowhere to go. So I walked up to a playground near my house. It was pretty cold outside so I figured I wouldn't run into too many people.

I sat inside the covered slide for a while and bawled my eyes out about nothing at all. After about ten minutes I noticed a little boy and his daddy playing on the seesaw. I'm sure the dad probably thought I was some vagrant going through meth withdraw or some shit, but the little boy was genuinely concerned. He stared at me for about a minute when I heard him say, "Daddy is she hurt? Why is she crying?" The father was all "Yeah shes fine. Don't look at the crazy lady." OK well he didn't say that, but I'm sure that's what he was thinking. The child would not give up. I heard him yell, "Hey! Are you okay? Why are you crying?"

I wiped the tears away, forced a smile and said, "I'm fine sweetie. I'm just sad." The dad grabbed the kid's hand and whisked him away to the other side of the playground. I sat there and cried some more until I heard his little voice again.

"Hey! Don't be sad no more!"

I looked down and started crying all over again.

The little boy opened his tiny hand, and there were two smashed dandelions he had picked for me.

I had never seen that child before, and I've not seen him since. I have no idea what his name was, and I wouldn't recognize him again, but I'll never forget how those two little balled up dandelions looked in his hand.

That little child will never know the impact he had on a grown woman's life. He showed me that no matter how alone I feel, there will always be someone who cares. Whether it's a parent, spouse, sibling, or a four year old stranger...someone cares.
photo credit Google images 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that's beautiful...Isn't it amazing; the innocence of a child - the child just wanted to make you happy. No judgements. The father wanted nothing to with the situation. Wouldn't it be nice if we all helped each other with the innocence of a child? Great writing Crystal.,,,

    ReplyDelete